Pages

Maltese Care Guide

A Maltese dog that exhibits signs of tear stai...Image via Wikipedia

Maltese Care Guide

Got a new Maltese puppy? Here’s a Maltese care guide to get you started.

Maltese care is fairly simple and straightforward. This biggest concern you’ll have is their fur coat. Because Maltese dogs do not have an undercoat, they are on the top of the  list for best hypoallergenic dogs to have as pets. That’s the good news. But because they lack the undercoat, the fur tends to mat rather easily. So, the less than good news (not really so bad) is that you will need to tend to their coat at least every other day with a good brushing. Use a steel-toothed comb to comb gently through the fur.

If constant attention to their fur is not in your scope of regular activity, then the only thing that will fix matted fur is a compete shave. Consider keeping the dog’s fur short, as in 1 to 2 inches all over. This is generally referred to as a puppy-cut and will give your pet an everlasting puppy look.

The Maltese is a loving animal with boundless energy. He loves to please his owners and is a pretty smart guy. Training should be a snap as long as you remember to be patient and kind. Taking care of  Maltese requires that you remain gentle with this animal at all times, as they can be easily frightened. Because they are small, they can be easily injured and will not take too well to rough handling. Small children who do not understand this will be best served by not being allowed to play with the Maltese.


Giving the Maltese care that is appropriate to his demeanor is important. A skittish, nervous dog will need constant reassurance and has a great need to feel safe. The Maltese who is fearless and inquisitive will need to be protected from dangerous situations.


You may not mean for it to happen, but sometimes a pet finds his way outdoors alone. If your pet gets loss, it’s best to prepare for such an occurrence by providing your pet with an ID tag that includes your name, address and phone number.

Needless to say, Maltese care requires that you keep your beloved healthy, and having his shots is a priority. Local licensing is also required. Both of these items should be kept up to date every year for quality Maltese care, as well as regular health check ups with the veterinarian.


A healthy diet, plenty of fresh water, good training and a safe environment are all included in the list that makes up quality Maltese care. Add to that Maltese care that includes regular exercise and plenty of loving attention, and you ensure a happy life for both you and your little charmer.


4 comments:

  1. Owning a dog is not just a privilege-it's a responsibility. These animals depend on us for, at minimum, food and shelter, and deserve much more. If you are considering taking a dog into your life, you need to think seriously about the commitment that dog ownership entails. If you already have a dog, you need to consider if you are fulfilling all your obligations as its owner.
    I own a Maltese

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to get a maltese and I am so excited! We have thought this through for over a year now and we are finally getting one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveeeeeeeeee the Maltese pups. I had a shizu and I loved him soooooo much, his name was Jellybean my kids and I really loved him until one of my family memberws gave him away. I was sooooooo angry so a few years later I kicked him out. anyway I saw this malta anad her name is Nina, OMG!!!! she is the cutest ever. I will be bring her home hopfuly soon. I am working on earning extra money to bring her to me. Everynight I say a good night in my thoughts to her where ever she is. I cannot wait to get her and play with her, kiss her, spoil her,and take walks and lay next to me when my kids are gone to thier dads. I love that little pup. I just took one look at her and OMG! I fell in love with that pup. I have looked at winter clothes and other things to make her very warm and comfterble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really excited also to get that cute pup. My Nina.

    ReplyDelete